Thinking About Changing Your Name in Montana?

There are many reasons a person in Montana may choose to change their name.

Sometimes the name you were given at birth isn’t one you’re comfortable with. Whether it’s due to a new understanding of yourself, or something you’ve wanted to do for a long time, a name change can help the world better understand who you are.


“How can I change my name in Montana?”

In Montana, the same process and laws apply whether you want to change your first name, your last name, or your full name. 

Be aware, however, that there are differences in how the law is applied to minors versus adults. You’ll need to be sure the correct procedures are followed to ensure your name change goes smoothly. 


Montana Name Change Process

  1. You will need to petition the court
  2. Your petition needs to provide adequate notice to anyone who may oppose the name change, even if you don’t believe anyone would oppose the name change. 
  3. There may also be a hearing that you’ll need to attend in front of a judge.


“Are there reasons why someone can’t change their name?”

Yes, in rare cases, a petition for a name change may be denied. These are generally situations where someone is changing their name to hide from debts, judgments, and legal actions. In most other cases, the petition process is very smooth.


“How much does it cost to change my name?”

The filing fees for the petition are around $100-$150. However, if you make any errors in the process, you’ll have to start over from scratch and pay the fees again. This is one of the reasons why working with an experienced attorney can make the process more efficient.


“Will I have to publish an announcement in the newspaper?”

In Montana, a person who wishes to change their name must give the public adequate notice of the change and the opportunity to oppose the change. This public notice comes in the form of a  newspaper announcement in your home county. Proof of publication is then provided to the Clerk of the Court.


“Do I need a lawyer’s help to change my name?”

Not necessarily. It is possible for an individual to complete the name change process on their own without assistance from a lawyer. However, lawyers like the family law experts at Judnich Law Office have completed this process many times. We’re able to help the process proceed as smoothly as possible. If there are issues, we’ll help you resolve them.

When you work with a lawyer you trust to change your name in Montana, you can rest easy knowing that everything is being handled correctly. You’ll be free to focus on celebrating your new identity, while an expert handles the legal aspects of your situation.


Speak with a family lawyer at Judnich Law Office today!

Considering changing your name? Let’s talk. Call the Judnich Law Office in Missoula at (406) 721-3354 or contact us online. We’ll learn more about your situation and how we can help you succeed in your desire to change your name in Montana.